Increasing Sleep Technologist Proficiency in the Diagnostic Process of Narcolepsy
Sleep Technologists & Clinical Sleep Educators - Take Advantage of a Complimentary CEC Online Program!
To register for this free online CEC program visit www.sleepschool.com/narcolepsy
Narcolepsy Assessment and Diagnosis
Examine the most up to date methods for narcolepsy assessment and diagnosis with leading sleep experts throughout the country. The Atlanta School’s new complimentary CEC Program Increasing Sleep Technologists Proficiency in the Diagnostic Process of Narcolepsy is an all-online, interactive activity that mixes didactic presentations with live scoring exercises & quizzes. Gain new insights into narcolepsy and earn 1.5 hours of free CEC credit!
- Phyllis Zee, M.D., Ph.D., professor of Neurology, Neurobiology, and Physiology, and associate director for the Center for Sleep & Circadian Biology at Northwestern University Institute for Neuroscience, details the latest diagnostic criteria for narcolepsy.
- Michael J. Thorpy, M.D., neurologist and director of the Sleep-Wake Disorders Center at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx and professor of Neurology at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, leads discussion on usefulness of the Swiss Narcolepsy Scale & other validated assessment tools.
- Russell Rosenberg, Ph.D, D.ABSM, founder and director of the Atlanta School of Sleep Medicine and Technology, walks users through a simple demonstration on accessing the Swiss Narcolepsy & Epworth Sleepiness scales.
- Following with a didactic and engaging presentation on scoring the onset of sleep and rules for identifying REM sleep is Richard Rosenberg,PhD., CEO Rosenberg Sleep Consulting.
- Marietta Bibbs, RPSGT, RST,Neurodiagnostics Manager of Morton Plant Mease Hospital Baycare Health System demonstrates appropriate Multiple Sleep Latency Test scoring techniques.
- Christina Saulys,RPSGT, RST, Associate Director of Data Services and CRA at Clinilabs, Inc., also walks learners through a guided Multiple Sleep Latency Test scoring practice.
MSLT Nap Scoring Competency Assessments
After the content experts finish, the learner takes over for a series of 5 Multiple Sleep Latency Test nap scoring competency assessments. Participants will be presented with an entire series of 5 naps from an actual patient. The naps have been separated, and participants are able to view each epoch and then scroll back to see any previous portions throughout the exercise. At the end of each nap, users will be asked to determine the sleep onset latency as well as if a Sleep Onset Rapid Eye Movement occurred. Users will receive immediate feedback on each assessment question.
Upon completion of this educational activity, participants should be able to:
- Compare and contrast International Classification of Sleep Disorders 2nd edition diagnostic criteria for narcolepsy with ICSD 3rd edition as well as DSM V criteria.
- Appropriately interpret symptomatology and laboratory parameters in making the diagnosis of narcolepsy.
- Describe the efficacy and safety of current treatment options for narcolepsy.
- Institute and optimize appropriate management options for narcolepsy symptoms, including combination therapy, according to current management guidelines.
Take this course on the go- learner can access this activity from any computer, tablet, or smart phone.
Designation of Credit
The American Association of Sleep Technologists designates this educational activity for a maximum of 1.50 AAST Continuing Education Credits. Individuals should claim only those credits that he/she actually earned in the educational activity.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals has provided an independent, educational grant for this activity.
To register for this excellent free CEC opportunity from the Atlanta School of Sleep Medicine visit www.sleepschool.com/narcolepsy
About Kevin Asp
Because of the implementation of his best practices of Implementing Inbound Marketing in its Medical Practice, he turned the once stagnant online presence of Alaska Sleep Clinic to that of "The Most Trafficked Sleep Center Website in the World" in just 18 months time.